Our little baby is already getting so big so fast! We had his 1 month appointment yesterday and he was 9 lbs 13 oz (50%) and 24 inches (95%). Looks like we have a future giant on our hands. The doctor thinks the nurse may have not had the most accurate read on his height so he may stay the same for the next couple months haha. I was pretty amazed how much weight he gained though! At his 2 week appointment he was back up to his birth weight so he pretty much gained 2 lbs in 2 weeks. I think this is normal for babies but it just blew my mind!
It has been a pretty amazing first month learning about parenthood and Coltons little personality. I just wanted to write down some little facts about him.
- He has a love/hate relationship with his pacifier. He never wants it in his mouth unless he is sleeping. He will be crying as we're putting him to bed so we give it to him and he is instantly calm.....until he spits it out 10 minutes later and we have to keep putting it back in his mouth until he is asleep enough to not notice it fall out. One of the best reactions we get is when we try to stick it in his mouth and he decides he doesn't want it so he keeps his mouth wide open and shakes his head until we take it out. I think we've gotten to a point that it is more entertaining for us so we will keep doing it for a reaction.
- He loves loves his swing! He is content just hanging out in it or sleeping in it. This is great for us because he rarely is in a bad mood while he's swinging. I didn't think it was a necessary investment at first, then after my friend told me how her daughter did so much better with the swing, I decided to get one.
- He has slept in his carseat most of the time because he hates being flat on his back. We have just recently moved him into a bassinet. He seems to be doing better in that now because he is a little bigger so he is a little more comfortable.
- He is the worlds loudest sleeper! He is making noise all night long! We have just had him sleeping in his room from the beginning. We had someone stay with us for a couple nights so we moved Colton into our room and it was honestly the worst nights of sleep Trent and I have had since he was born.
- Sleeping has been hit or miss with him. Somedays he is a champion sleeper and others he is doing everything he can to not sleep. He will give me a break every couple nights and sleep 5-6 hours straight at night. I'm liking this trend so far.
- He hates being put to sleep initially but generally will be pretty good at night and go right back down after I feed him in the middle of the night.
- He loves the car! I really don't think he's ever cried in the car before. Regardless of where we're going he will fall asleep instantly when we turn on the engine. This has been heaven sent! I have been able to take him out at naptime and he will be asleep until it's time to eat.
- This boy is a terribly loud eater. I tried feeding him in our room during the night once and Trent kicked me out because Colton just gulps galore and was keeping Trent awake. I am a little worried about feeding him in public. I feel like it will be a very awkward experience when everyone within a 20 foot radius can hear him eating.
- He has become a bit of a spit up baby. The last week or so he will spit up a lot of the milk he just ate. The doctor said it is because he is trying to drink too much. I am hoping he grows out of this sooner than later. He did this when we introduced him to our Sunbeam class and one of the girls looked at him and said "I think he's sick". We didn't have a problem with them trying to touch him the rest of the class.
- He doesn't really know how to feel about the bath yet. I think with it getting colder here he likes the initial warmth of the water but then hates to be wet when we take him out.
- He has the best reactions to noise. He gets really startled and will get a confused look on his face. He will pull out his claws when it's really loud.
- Unfortunately he has thinned out quite a bit in the hair department on top. He has a pretty attractive mullet right now. We are trying to rock a comb over to hide his bald spots. I told Trent that he and my dad will have the same haircut when they meet at Thanksgiving. He also has a pretty low hairline. I guess he is his father's son.
Here are some pictures of him over the course of the month!